Turkey and Three Bean Chili


Well it's been several months since I last posted on this blog - I apologize for my absence. I haven't been posting here for the last few months because I have completely changed the way I eat. Starting in early October I began eating more healthful than ever before, the result was 20 pounds of weight loss in October and November combined. I spent the holidays in weight maintenance mode and am proud to report that I didn't gain a single pound. But it's January now, and I'm back in weight loss mode - eating 1500 healthy calories a day. On a 1500 calorie meal plan I allow myself approximately 500 calories for dinner. This recipe is one of many healthy recipes I have been refining since October and is the first ready for prime time. 

The timing is also fitting because as I sit here writing this post it is -4F/-20C outside...very, very cold. This dish is the perfect thing to warm you up on a day as cold as this one. The recipe that follows is not meant to be very spicy - I would say the spice is mild (it's designed to be crowd pleasing), but if you like things spicier (like I do), I recommend adding a minced Serrano pepper or two. 


Serves 8 (easily halved)

Ingredients:
1-2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, small diced
2 medium red bell peppers, small diced
2 medium carrots, small diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1-2 small Serrano peppers, minced (optional)
2 teaspoons cumin
1 pound ground turkey breast
1 (28 ounce) can crushed or diced tomatoes (with chipotle if available)
3-4 cups water or low-sodium vegetable/chicken stock
2 chipotle chiles in adobo, seeded and minced
2 teaspoons adobo sauce
1 teaspoon fresh oregano
4 (14-15 ounce) cans (6 cups cooked) of your favorite beans, I use a canned organic three bean chili mix, rinsed and drained
Salt and pepper

Non- or low-fat sour cream or yogurt, for serving
Cilantro, for serving
Tortilla chips, for serving

Start by prepping all of the vegetables (including the chipotle chiles) and rinsing and draining the beans. 

Bring a large pot to medium heat and add the olive oil. When the olive oil is warm add the onions, red bell peppers, and carrots, season with salt and pepper, place a lid on the pot and cook for approximately 10 minutes, until the vegetables have softened and are just beginning to brown.

Then add the garlic (and Serrano peppers if using) and cook for 1 minute. Add two teaspoons of cumin, toss so that all of the vegetables are coated in the cumin and cook for 1 minute. Add the ground turkey, season with salt and pepper, toss and break up any large pieces, cook for 5-7 minutes until most of the pink is gone.  

Add the crushed/diced tomatoes, water/stock (start with three cups and add the fourth if necessary), chipotle chiles and adobo sauce, and oregano. Stir to combine, season with salt and pepper, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, add the beans, bring back to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes more. 

I'm excited to start posting more healthy recipes in the coming months!

Bon appetit!

Comments

Popular Posts