Mango-Glazed Salmon Salad


I love salmon, but lately I feel like I've fallen into a salmon rut, always preparing it the same way. So, I was looking for a new, but simple, way to prepare salmon when I found this recipe for mango-glazed salmon with a spinach salad and a toasted sesame dressing in my most used cookbook - Cook Yourself Thin. I've tried nearly everything in that cookbook (a rare thing) so I don't know how I overlooked this recipe for so long. But I'm glad I "discovered" it, because I think it is a fantastic option if you are looking for a salad you can make at home that doesn't have too many ingredients (I already had most on hand but I realize "too many ingredients" is a relative term). As the weather has warmed and my body has begun to crave fresher foods this salad has quickly become a staple in my weekly meal routine.

Serves 2 (approximately 475 calories per serving)

Ingredients:
For the salmon
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon minced ginger
1 cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon rice vinegar
2/3 cup mango nectar/juice
12 ounces salmon (2 6-ounce fillets)

For the salad and dressing
1 bunch fresh spinach
1 Bosc pear, diced
1 medium carrot, shredded
Bean sprouts
2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon ginger, grated
1 tablespoon orange juice (preferably fresh squeezed)

Preheat the broiler.

Start by preparing the salmon: First, combine the soy sauce, minced ginger, cinnamon stick, rice vinegar, and mango juice in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer (uncovered) until the liquid has reduced by half (about 15 minutes). 

Meanwhile, place the salmon in a broiling dish (coated with cooking spray). When there is 5 minutes left on the mango reduction, place the salmon under the broiler (5-6 inches from heat elements). Broil the salmon for 5 minutes, then brush half of the mango reduction on the salmon and then broil for 3-4 more minutes. Remove the salmon from the oven and brush with the remaining mango reduction.

To prepare the salad dressing combine the rice vinegar, sesame oil, grated ginger and orange juice in a small jar and shake until the dressing has emulsified.

To serve, lay down beds of spinach followed by the remaining vegetables/fruit, almonds, and then the salmon filets. Drizzle the dressing over each salad.

Bon appetit!

Comments

Popular Posts